I woke up today with a MASSIVE blister that covered the entire left side of the ball of my right foot, compliments of my trekking around the city yesterday. I opened it up and stuck a band aid on it for today. Not getting me down, I've got sights to see!
Today I went around and did the things that interested me most yesterday. I went inside the Tower of London, and that pretty cool - I took a Beefeaters tour (yes, Bruch, it was really good) and saw the crown jewels along with the torture exhibit. I rode the London Eye and took about 100 pictures during the flight, the views were so incredible. (yes, yes, Bruch and Jenna, you were right!) I meet two really nice older ladies in line for the Eye, and we were in the same capsule. We chatted about politics and traveling and the one from London (the other was a visiting cousin from New Zealand) pointed out a lot of buildings and things during the flight. I also went inside Westminster Abbey, which blew me away. There are so many tombs and crypts in there, it's crazy. I saw some of the more famous ones, Elizabeth I, Henry VIII, Innocents Corner, all the ones in Poets Corner (including Tennyson, Chaucer, Keats and the memorial to Shakespeare) I saw Sir Issac Newton's tomb and also where he used to live in the Tower of London. The interior was so ornate and beautiful and so incredibly big.
I also went down to Buckingham Palace to watch the changing of the guard, which was really neat to see. I'm a little sad that I won't be in London one more day because tomorrow they are having the full dress rehearsal for the Queen's birthday parade, including the trooping of the color, which means all of the guards will be out and marching. That would be something to see.
After the Tower of London I headed back here to South Kensington on the Metro. I was sooo tired, I almost fell asleep between every stop. I made it, however, to my stop and got off and headed to the little convenience store for dinner. I've been eating a lot less over here than I would normally in the states, mainly because it cost money to eat and I'm overly anxious about what I spend and where. Today for breakfast I had a blueberry muffin and a cheese twist from the aforementioned convenience store. Lunch was an extra long brat with fried onions that I had for lunch yesterday as well, and dinner was a chicken and bacon sandwich and a cheese twist. I've developed an affinity for those cheese twists, as you can see. There isn't usually any snacking in between, though tomorrow I've budgeted in a Starbucks coffee to treat myself before I leave for Waterloo Station for my trip across the Channel to Paris.
That's right, another city tomorrow! To prepare for it, I went to a Laundrette and did all of my laundry tonight. It was outrageously expensive, but I desperately needed it. I didn't bring a lot of clothes with me on this portion, most of my stuff is still in Berlin with my large pack, waiting for me to come back to it. I also purchased some Febreze here in London, finally. They apparently "don't make it in Holland anymore" to quote the lady at the store where I tried to purchase some in Amsterdam, unfortunately I really needed it there, so I bought some Oust air freshener and was lightly spraying everything I owned with that. Gotta take what you can get sometimes I guess. Haha.
I've been talking to a few people from my hostel, and even one of my roommates a little bit. Turns out she's Greek, not French as I assumed. The great majority of people that I have met there are all using Curazon House as a place to actually live for a while, which is strange to me, but I guess it must be cheaper than an apartment.
I don't know if I will have reliable internet access while in Paris, so this might be my last post for a while. I'm staying three days, two nights in Paris. The last night I leave on a sleeper train for Berlin. I think *fingers crossed* that I get a couchette, or a bed compartment, on this train. That would be Really cool.
Love to all at home,
*Miranda
Oh, and a huge thank you to all who have been leaving comments, it really does brighten my day when I read them. I am very grateful.
Friday, June 1, 2007
Cheerio! Pip pip! and all that Jazz
Labels:
Beefeaters,
Hostels,
London,
The Eye,
Travel,
Westminster Abbey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Your hostel has Internet, I read that on their website.
And does your ticket actually say "couchette" or something? If so, you'll actually have a place to sleep instead of just a seat. I've only taken the train from Paris to Frankfurt, so it wasn't over night, but the trains were pretty nice.
Je suis jalouse! Have a good trip over the channel (or I guess should I say under?)... you'll love Paris. Don't forget the crepes. GO GO GO to the Pere Lachaise cemetery (stops off of both the #2 and #3 line of the metro)... sooooo many famous people are buried there it's insane, including Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde (and Victor Hugo, Frederick Chopin, Edith Piaf), etc. etc. Spend the 2E and buy the little map the guy sells outside of it. It's a good souvenir and it comes in very handy since that place is just ridiculously big.
Lots of love!! xxx
oh trains.. there like planes.. except slower and more comfortable.. or like cars except you don't have to drive and they're faster
Just checking in here....
About that blister....while in Berlin (or anywhere in Germany), you may want to pick up a salve made by Bayer called "Bepanthen, Wund und Heilsalbe." It's very good--best I've ever seen anywhere. Available in any German Apotheke.
On another note, if you get the chance, pop me an email to let me know where you're staying in Berlin--you never know what surprises may come your way.;-)
lilian
(friedbergatchidjembedotcom).
Post a Comment